For a young parent like you, choosing the best crib for your baby is paramount. You need to check out its features, safety aspect and many more that will keep your baby happy, safe and comfortable. To help you along in this critical task, we present here seven of the best convertible cribs for you to choose from.
What is a convertible crib?
Perhaps, the most multifaceted and flexible of all crib types is the convertible crib. The primary objective of a convertible crib is that it should grow together as your baby does. Along the way, such a crib is designed to convert into one or more bed types for your growing child.
Take, for instance, a three-in-one crib. This means that from an ordinary crib, you can use a conversion kit to upgrade it to be a toddler bed, a daybed, and an adult bed. For this reason, a convertible crib is also known as a lifetime crib.
Even if a conversion kit is sold separately and costs you some, yet it's worth buying, and the whole deal is still economical. A convertible crib lets you move the mattress you use between three levels or more. As your child grows, you can easily fit them into the crib by reducing the level of the mattress.
This makes buying a convertible crib extremely economical.
Factors to Consider When Buying a Convertible Crib
Buying one of the best convertible cribs for your baby sounds like the perfect solution because it is a long-term investment in one particular type of furniture. It is also made of good quality materials and is highly robust. Lastly, it helps a young one transition from a crib to a bed quickly.
Here is a selection of factors you should base your purchase of a convertible crib on:
Choice of mattress
A conventional crib allows you, a new parent, to take care of your newborn easily and keep your baby safe. Part of the reason this is possible is the choice of mattress. Initially, you need to reach your baby easily, so ensure the mattress is high, thereby negating the need to bend low to pick up your baby.
As your baby grows into a toddler, he will stand and try to climb over the rails. At this time, a convertible crib will allow you to adjust the height of the mattress downwards.
Safety for your baby in a convertible crib is of utmost importance. Ensure that the crib you’re looking at has all the following safety features:
- Sturdy slats
- A frame that shouldn’t flex overly
- A mattress that should remain straight, without tilting
- Square corners
- Non-toxic materials, paint, and fabrics that are approved by safety authorities
- Your convertible crib’s accessories such as pillows, heavy blankets, and crib bumpers, shouldn't cause any suffocation to the baby
How long do you intend using this crib? Convertible cribs are meant to be used while your baby grows, finally becoming single beds for adults. This is a smart engineering feat and very economical too.
You may fall in love at first sight with a particular convertible crib. But make sure it falls in line with all the required factors your baby is going to need. For starters, check that it fits well into your baby’s room.
If it is too large for the room, it is impractical to have one of a large size. Instead, look out for a smaller one that will fit in well into the baby’s room.
The design of a convertible crib is directly related to its functionality and aesthetics. You might want it to blend with a theme you prefer for your nursery. Fortunately, you can find baby cribs in a variety of styles, colors and designs.
No matter which design you go with eventually, ensure that it is in line with the safety aspect of a crib. It should not let your toddler climb out of the crib and crawl all over the place.
The slats should be set at the right distance from the next. And, ensure that just because you have a beautiful design of crib, it should not be the cause of your child suffocating.
Other Accessories to Look Out For
Such a convertible crib is usually made of eco-friendly materials, woods and finishes.
Cribs that integrate storage areas enable mothers to find everything they need for their babies.
Here’s an all-in-one option which can save you time, space and ensures that all that the baby needs to dress are within easy reach.
Tailor-Made for Young Ones
By now, you realize that a good reason for buying a convertible crib is that it can be customized to convert into beds for children and later adults too. Manufacturers also provide certain accessories to customize such cribs, like extra rails.
It’s advisable to buy these parts when you buy the crib, as later you may not be able to find the relevant parts.
Your considerations while buying a convertible crib may be a long list of factors, but it’s well worth considering. The market today is full of a variety of convertible cribs, each vying to catch your eye. We realize this too and have therefore made your task of buying one easy with our list of the best convertible cribs 2019.
Once you read our convertible cribs reviews, you will realize why each crib is so outstanding. From these, it will be easy for you to choose the one you ultimately want to go with.
1.Babyletto Hudson 3-in-1 Convertible Crib with Toddler Bed Conversion Kit, White
Here’s a convertible crib with a modern look. One of the best convertible cribs 2019, the Hudson 3-in-1 Convertible Crib has elegance written all over it with its integrated toddler bed conversion kit which helps it upgrade from a crib, toddler bed and lastly to a daybed. The additional junior bed conversion kit, if bought separately, allows your crib to grow as your kid does. You can choose from whites, greys, brown and two-toned colors.
- Its circular spindles render it a versatile style for any kind of nursery.
- Made of non-toxic and eco-friendly materials, such as sustainable pine wood from New Zealand, lead and phthalate.
- Comes with a GREENGUARD Gold certification, which means it has been tested for 360 VOCs and more than 10,000 chemicals.
- Offers four mattress positions.
- It meets American Safety and Testing Materials (ASTM) International and U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) safety standards.
- Can be used until the child begins climbing or stands 35” tall.
- Dimensions: 53.625" x 29.625" x 34.875"; Weight: 24.5 kg
- Made using a modern design.
- Grows as your child does.
- This one is easy to assemble.
- Durable and stylish.
- The wear and tear marks show within a year of use.
2.Graco Solano 4-in-1 Convertible Crib with Drawer
What’s apparent on first glance about this convertible crib is its clean and attractive lines. It is also versatile in adapting to your child’s growing needs by upgrading to a toddler bed, and then a daybed and a full-sized bed.
But what really keeps you gaping is its long list of splendid features that your child can benefit from. Here they are:
- The Graco Solano 4-in-1 Convertible Crib with Drawer adjusts to a maximum of three heights of the mattress so that you can adjust it to your child's growth.
- Beneath the unit, there's also a large drawer to store your child's needs, accessible. It also has a changing table to keep your baby’s items safely.
- Versatile, it converts easily from being a crib to a toddler bed, day bed and lastly a large bed.
- Matches well with any kind of décor.
- Certified by the Juvenile Products Manufacturers Association (JPMA) and complies with all the CPSC guidelines and ASTM safety standards so that your baby has the best and safest sleep environment.
- Dimensions: 58.5 x 35.5 x 5”; Weight: 28 kg
- Overall, it’s a beautiful crib.
- Sturdy, good looking and safe.
- The drawer is roomy.
- Installing the product is time-consuming.
- Lack of a manual makes installation difficult.
3.Davinci Kalani 4-in-1 Convertible Crib, Espresso
Sturdily built from 100% pinewood from New Zealand, this crib has already been described by a user as “indestructible.” Being a four in one convertible crib, it adapts to your child's growing needs and stays as his bed right till his teen years. Convertible crib reviews online have titled it the best twin conversion crib.
- Offers four mattress positions that adjust with your child’s growth.
- Versatile in converting to a toddler bed, daybed and adult bed.
- Made from non-toxic materials.
- Meets the standards of ASTM International and the United States CPSC safety standards.
- It is certified by GREENGUARD for more than 360 VOCs and more than 10,000 chemicals.
- Dimensions: 54.38" x 35"x 41.88"; Weight: 25.4 kg
- Stylish and modern in appearance.
- Highly affordable.
- Easy to assemble.
- Good value for money.
- Can only be used until the child is 35" tall or under.
- Toddlers’ feet get caught between slats.
4.Delta Children Emery 4-in-1 Convertible Baby Crib, White
Safe, elegant, chic and dur3able, the Delta Children Emery 4-in-1 Convertible Crib will remain with you long after it is needed. It is superbly designed and constructed to be a large part of your tot’s life, right from his babyhood to adulthood.
It converts without any difficulty from being a conventional crib to a toddler bed, daybed and an adult bed. These excellent features render it an affordable investment for your child.
- Designed to convert easily to a toddler bed, daybed and full-size bed along with headboard.
- Its three-position mattress is adjusted in height so that you can lower the mattress you’re your baby sits or stands.
- Sturdy and robust, being constructed using high-quality wood.
- This crib is certified by the JPMA for safety and by the CPSC & ASTM.
- It is also tested for toxicity and lead and meets the standards of the ASTM.
- Dimensions: 55.75” x 30.25” x 43.75”; Weight 41 kg
- Easy to assemble.
- Durable enough to withstand the child’s height and weight.
- The accompanying instruction manual is easy to read and follow.
- Converting this crib to larger sizes is easy.
- One user complained that the product smelled very badly.
- Another complained that her product was badly scratched and dented.
5.Davinci Jenny Lind 3-in-1 Convertible Crib, Lagoon
This convertible crib has a charm all its own, being vintage in style. Its particular heirloom style and robust wood spindle posts are easy to assemble and use even after your child is beyond his nursery years.
The Davinci Jenny Lind 3-in-1 Convertible Crib is a superb combination of sturdy construction and excellent functionality, besides being reasonably priced. When it offers four mattress positions along with castors, and four-bed choices, it attempts to grow as your child does.
If you invest in the conversion kits that are sold separately, you automatically upgrade your crib to be a toddler bed, daybed and ultimately, a full-sized bed. As you examine this crib, you will be amazed by its thick legs and rails, more than its peers. This offers your child more safety and you, the confidence that it will remain in the same good shape as it is now, for years to come.
- Can be upgraded to a toddler bed and daybed easily.
- Made of New Zealand’s sustainable pine wood and is made of solid construction, thereby extending its life.
- Offers four mattress positions and is versatile enough to convert easily to a toddler bed, daybed and full-sized bed.
- Finished with non-toxic chemicals and is safe from phthalate and lead.
- It has a gold certification from GREENGUARD after being screened for 360 VOCs and more than 10,000 chemicals.
- Meets the standard of ASTM International and the safety standards of the American organization, CPSC.
- Dimensions: 54.6” x 30.4” x 41.1”; Weight: 18.1 kg
- Users love the crib’s finish and design and have bought this model for later children.
- Solid construction and is made of quality material.
- Reasonably priced.
- Its conversion aspect makes it economical.
- Takes a couple of hours to assemble.
- Baby’s chewing of slats dents them.
6.Dream on Me 4 in 1 Aden Convertible Mini Crib
This beautifully designed crib stays with your child as he grows from a toddler to an adult, adapting to his growth along the way. It is strong, appealing to the eye and has a solid frame and comes with a stationary rail design which highlights the child’s safety.
To reach out and pick up your baby from the crib, it is designed to sit low. It also offers you three positions and an adjustable mattress. It evolves from being a toddler crib to a daybed and a twin size bed for an adult. Convertible crib reviews have proclaimed it the best mini crib.
- Can evolve into a twin-size bed for an adult from being a toddler’s crib.
- Offers a three-position mattress support system.
- Made from robust pine wood.
- It is tested for toxicity including lead and meets the safety standards of the ASTM and CPSC.
- Space-saving and hence ideal for small rooms.
- It is constructed in accordance with safety standards for infant care products.
- Does not fit well with full-sized mattresses.
- Bedding is challenging to find to suit this crib.
7.Union 3-In-1 Convertible Crib
This is another line of cribs made by DaVinci. It’s both simple, elegant and minimalistic in design and clean and ultra-modern in appearance. You can also buy a Union 3-in-1 convertible crib in a broad range of colors that can easily be a part of your nursery décor.
- Made from 100% sustainable pine wood from New Zealand.
- Due to its minimalist design, it is incredibly lightweight and is easily portable. It is also highly sturdy and comes with fixed rails on the side.
- Ideal for short mothers who can easily place their babies in the crib and get them out without hurting their backs.
- This one is designed to be easily convertible into two larger beds, though you would have to buy the toddler bed's conversion kit separately. When your child grows too old to occupy the toddler bed, you can upgrade it to a daybed by removing the safety guardrail. And lastly, you can upgrade this to an adult bed.
- It meets the safety standards of the ASTM and US CPSC.
- Dimensions: 53.5” x 30.5” x 33.5”; Weight: 16.4 kg
- GREENGUARD Gold certified, meaning it finished using non-toxic materials.
- Designed to reduce indoor pollution and the risk of exposure to chemicals.
- Assemble is easy.
- Sturdy and is available in fun colors.
- A user complained that the crib was flimsy and would not withstand a toddler jumping and standing.
- Parts to convert to toddler crib are difficult to find.
Before you go to a store to buy, plan your budget for a convertible crib. After all, many of the best convertible cribs can be expensive, if you buy the additional kits too. Measure out the space you plan to set the crib in and ensure that there’s enough room to walk around it comfortably. Style, safety and comfort of the crib are equally important, so give these aspects equal importance before you settle on anyone.